Friday, June 22, 2012

Split Pea Soup

I have made this recipe from Skinny Taste twice. It is relatively easy to make and turns out completely yummy!
The author of Skinny Taste writes that 1/6th of the recipe of 4+ points... I am not sure how much that is... but definitely a healthy recipe in the right portion.

Ingredients:
16 oz bag of dried split peas
1 medium chopped onion
1 garlic clove (I used minced garlic)
8 cups fat-free chicken broth
2 tsp of olive oil
2 large carrots - chopped (I used baby carrots and just cut up what I thought would be good)
salt and pepper
1 ham hock

Directions:
Wash peas and drain them.
In a pot, saute onions and garlic in about 2 tsp of oil.

Add peas, carrots, ham hock and chicken broth. Cover the pot and let it come to a boil. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Once it boils, reduce heat and cook for about two hours. The beans become soft and dissolve into the green color you see.



Remove ham hock and serve. I put the soup in individual portions in mason jars and placed a lot of the left overs in the freezer so that on busy nights I would always have something to grab to eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment