Sunday, September 16, 2012

Skinny Shredded Buffalo Chicken

Putting my crock pot to use again, I made shredded buffalo chicken from skinnytaste.com.

This recipe is definitely a keeper! The original recipe provides details to make a buffalo lettuce wrap, however I just ate it plain as a snack (I couldn't help but pick at in my fridge!) or over lettuce. Surprisingly, it didn't taste too spicy but had a nice kick. If you are worried about the kick, it did seem to mellow the next day. The author of skinny taste recommended Frank's for the brand of hot sauce. It was fantastic - I definitely found a new favorite that has now made it's way to my eggs rather than the usual tabasco.



Ingredients:

24 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
1 celery stalk
1/2 onion, diced
1 clove garlic (I just did a little of fresh diced garlic)
16 oz fat free low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup hot cayenne pepper sauce (Frank's was delicious! - though I definitely used more than the recipe called for).

Directions:

1. In a crock pot, combine chicken, onions, celery stalk, garlic and broth (enough to cover chicken, you can use water if the broth isn't enough). I cut the celery - oops!


2. Cover and cook on high 4 hours.
3. Remove the chicken from pot, reserve 1/2 - 1 cup broth and discard the rest.
4. Shred the chicken.


5. Return to the slow cooker with the 1/2 cup broth and the hot sauce and set to on high for an additional 30 minutes.



Served over salad with light bleu cheese dressing....

No comments:

Post a Comment